IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR IN-PERSON LEARNERS
- Before sending your child to school, parents must do a health check of their child. Ask the following questions about the child. In the last 24 hours, has my child had any of these symptoms, new or different from what they usually have, and not explained by another reason?
- Fever or chills
- Sore throat
- Shortness of breath or trouble breathing
- New loss of taste or smell
- Seems sick, or like they are starting to get sick
- Borrowed school devices (with charger) should be returned to school if a student begins to attend in-person school.
- Parents can help the student get accustomed to wearing a mask at home for lengths of time before their first day of in-person school.
NOTE: CDC recommends that masks with exhalation valves or vents should not be worn to help prevent the person wearing the mask from spreading COVID-19 to others (source control).
- Prepare the student for the temperature check and hand sanitizer squirt in their hands at the car door (carpool) or at the outside gate or door depending on how they arrive on campus.
- Students need to bring a filled water bottle and wear a mask (bring an extra) each day.
- Parents can expect a weekly email on Mondays from their child’s teacher.
- Homework will be nightly reading. No packets will be sent home.
WHAT TO BRING ON DAY 1
- Basic school supplies (pencils, etc.). All school supplies can be brought during the first week of school.
- Mask (covering nose and mouth) and an extra
- A full bottle of water labeled with the child’s name
- Packed lunch (if bringing from home).
- Optional – consider rain gear to help your child stay dry, especially for dismissal.
HEALTH & SAFETY UPON ARRIVAL
First, parents need to be ready to say good-bye to their child at the outside gate or building door or car door, even on the first day. Visitors and volunteers aren’t allowed in the building. Depending on your route, expect several roads in the school’s vicinity to be under construction. Allow extra time always, but especially as we get used to brand-new ways of arriving at school. Morning drop-off is 7:35 – 8:00 AM. Our staff will be in their places ready to receive students. All parents/guardians dropping off and picking up children must wear a mask on campus while walking or driving a car through carpool.
Our staggered start for students allows for a lot less congestion on the first two weeks of school when only half of our in-person learners come to school. Be ready to make adjustments again to your routine on October 5 when all PK-4th in-person students continue to attend school in the building, and then again in mid-October when Grades 5-8 return.
TEMPERATURE CHECKS – All students will have their temperature checked upon arrival and be provided with hand sanitizer for hands before entering the building. Staff members will be at each entrance gate. Parents/guardians accompanying children in the vehicle or walking must wear a face covering.
- If the child’s temperature is 100.3 or lower, the child will be permitted to enter the building.
- If the child’s temperature is 100.4 or higher, the guardian must wait with the child for a second temperature check 15 minutes later.
- If the temperature has lowered on the 2nd check, the student may enter the building.
- If the temperature remains above 100.3 on the 2nd check, the student won’t be permitted to attend in-person that day and will move to distance learning for 10 days unless the guardian provides the school with medical documentation that the reason for the temperature was not COVID-19.
- If a 2nd temperature check is required, the 2nd Check must be performed by the same staff member who took the 1st temperature.
Here’s how this works depending on how your child arrives:
- Students arriving by CARPOOL who need a 2nd Temp Check will remain in the car with the driver. The driver needs to pull over or drive around (to re-enter the carpool line) to wait for 15 minutes before the 2nd Check.
- Students and guardians WALKING UP to the building are required to wear masks and practice social distancing while the student waits to enter the building. The guardian must wait with the student until the child has successfully passed the temperature check. If the child needs a 2nd Temp Check, the guardian must wait with the student outside the gate for 15 minutes until the 2nd check.
- Students arriving by BUS who have a temperature of 100.4 or above after 2 temperature checks will need to be picked up ASAP by a family member. Students will wait in a supervised isolation room until they can be picked up.
HANDWASHING – Students will wash their hands when entering their classroom upon arrival and several times as needed throughout the day as directed by the teacher.
WHERE TO ENTER
In order for students to stay in static groups upon arrival, parents must drop off children at designated spots for each grade. Please read carefully below. Guardians may need to loop around the block if you have multiple children.
- The ONLY PK-4th MORNING carpool line begins on BANKS, turning RIGHT onto S. Lopez. PK-4th students remain in cars until pulling into the covered unloading area. Staff will provide hand sanitizer, do temp checks, and assist with doors.
- PreK, K, and Ms. Frezel’s 1st-grade class who are walkers enter the red doors closest to S. Lopez & Cleveland. PreK, K & Ms. Frezel’s class who arrive in carpool enter the playground gate and walk on a new path towards the outside door nearest the bike rack.
- 1st Grade (except for Ms. Frezel’s class) who are walkers enter the playground gate by the bike rack and walk straight to the right of the playground to enter the 1st Grade stairs. 1st graders (except for Ms. Frezel’s class) who arrive in carpool go through the carpool gate close to the playground, walk on the new path, walk to the right of the playground and enter the 1st-grade stairs.
- 2nd, 3rd, & 4th Grade who are walkers enter the gate on Palmyra adjacent to the staff parking lot. They walk straight on the red brick path (not up the ramp) towards the play space and use the stairs to the left of the covered playground. (This is no longer for middle school.) 2nd, 3rd, & 4th Grade who arrive in carpool will enter the playground gate closest to the parking lot, turn right onto the red brick path and then take the same stairwell left of the covered playground.
- 5th-grade students will enter and exit the school building using the S. Rendon St entrance near the corner of S. Rendon St. and Cleveland St. prior to 8:00 AM.
WHERE TO PICK UP STUDENTS AT DISMISSAL
Dismissal for car and bus riders begins at 2:30. Walkers will wait in classrooms until bus riders and carpool riders have been dismissed. Walkers will be dismissed at 2:40-2:45. Dismissal ends at 3:00.
The school has planned for your child to be dismissed the way you chose in the survey. Families are encouraged to stick with one way for the child to leave school every day. Safety in static groups is our highest priority. All families who own a car are asked to use the carpool line for a safe dismissal. We expect walkers to be those who live in the neighborhood or use public transportation. Bringing your child directly to your vehicle is the safest transition for your child. Please refrain from changing your child’s way to get home. We understand emergencies arise, but please prepare to wait so that our staff can fully maintain safety in static groups.
All guardians in CARPOOL or WALKING must have a PICKUP TAG (look for it in child’s backpack on Day 1) with the child’s name, teacher’s name, and grade. Beginning Day 2, use this as if you were picking up someone at the airport so that you and staff can safely distance while efficiently getting your student to you. Put it on your dash if you’re in a vehicle or hold it if you’re walking so that staff members can easily see it. If you have multiple children in different carpool areas, please drive around and pick up from both carpool lines as needed.
- The PreK, Kindergarten, and 1st Grade AFTERNOON carpool line begins on BANKS St., turning RIGHT onto S. Lopez St., continues through the covered loading area, and exits onto S. Lopez toward Canal St. Please ensure that your carpool tag is clearly visible to staff, and pull up to the first spot available in the carpool lane. Drivers must remain in the vehicle during loading. Please ensure that students can load in the back seat on the driver’s side.
- The 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Grade AFTERNOON carpool line begins on NORMAN C. FRANCIS PKWY (formerly Jeff Davis Pkwy.), turns RIGHT onto Palmyra St., continues down Palmyra St. toward S. Lopez St. Please ensure that your carpool tag is clearly visible to staff and pull up to the gate adjacent to the parking lot. Drivers must remain in the vehicle during loading. Please ensure that students can load in the back seat on the driver’s side.
- In the afternoon, all PK-4th walkers are picked up from S. Lopez/Cleveland entrance where first-floor students arrive in the morning.
- 5th-grade students exit the building using the S. Rendon St entrance near the corner of S. Rendon St. and Cleveland St. after 2:30 PM. Parents may pick up students at that corner.